NOTICE: To ensure slots and adequate materials for all students, preregistration is REQUIRED! Schedule subject to change based on enrollment.
Use link above and complete registration form and both waivers and mail with payment at least 2 weeks prior to class start (email any concerns), to address on registration form. (Exception: Certification classes require longer lead time.)
- Introduction to Archery and Skills & Drills: $5/person if space available.
- EXPLORE ARCHERY: $15/person if space available.
- Level 1 Class: $25 if space available and time to order/receive instructional materials.
CANCELLED: Saturday, October 21 - INTRODUCTION TO ARCHERY, 9 a.m. at field range (north of clubhouse) $15/person - IA-2017-G04; ZOMBIE THEME!
2018 Schedule will be posted in coming months. Groups: contact us to schedule specific events.
Check out our events pictures!
Explore Archery; 6 week program: Dates: Sept-Oct (Tuesdays 9/12-10/17) (rain or shine)
Time: 6 p.m. start, runs ~1.5 hours + clean up
Session ID: EA17-02
Includes official earned tags (see photo), club patch, participation certificate/card: $120/person
- See registration section of this web page for forms (registration, club waiver & USA Archery waiver)
- Classes are first-come, first served and MUST be post-marked by August 31 to receive this rate. A late fee of $15 will be added if there are still slots available and arrangements are made to receive registrations after this post marked date.
What is Explore Archery? Explore Archery is a program to learn the basics of archery, earn cool awards and have fun with games planned into the curriculum. Archers learn safety, form, shot execution, scoring and equipment while splattering paint for art, playing nock-tac-toe with arrows, and have fun making a mess.
Participants earn colorful metal tags from USA Archery (included). Participants also get a custom club patch, program backpack and learning materials. No equipment needed - all available for use by the program. Learn on compound and recurve bows.
BRING: water bottle, closed toe shoes, no loose clothing or jewelry, hair tie as needed.
See pictures of the fun!
We are an Explore Archery club and soon an Adult Archery club through USA Archery, hosted by the Mt. Airy Chapter of the Izaak Walton League of America.
Join USA Archery and remember to affiliate with "Mt. Airy Straight Shooters."*
*(Required after attending 3 sessions per our USA Archery membership.)
Mount Airy Straight Shooters (MASS)
LEARN ARCHERY! NO EQUIPMENT NEEDED!
We are an official USA Archery "Explore Archery" program. No equipment needed to sign up for and take classes for ages 8 and up! We provide the same equipment as used in the "National Archery in the Schools Program" (NASP - compound bows) and Olympic archery (recurve bows).
--->Registration & Participation Forms (click on links below):
- Guest Release Form (MAC IWLA)
- Liability Waver (USA Archery)
- And event registration form (range rules are located on the back page)
- Mail forms with payment to: Archery; P.O.Box 951; Mt. Airy, MD 21771 Must be received at least a week prior to the scheduled class or event to secure a slot and ensure the class runs.
Classes and events are posted on the calendar once available.
Class types include:
- Scouting* & Community groups
- Introduction to Archery
- Explore Archery - 6 week Skill Building sessions with games and rewards
- Intermediate coaching style classes
- Club style group classes by skill level
- Introduction to Bow Hunting
- and eventually - league type competitions and event hosting
- Bows (standard National Archery in the Schools <NASP> and Junior Olympic Archery <JOAD> equipment)
- Arrows (standard NASP, Easton 1820 aluminum)
- Arm and Finger guards
- Instruction by USA Archery certified instructors with background checks
- Beautiful facilities at Izaak Walton League with mission focus on the outdoors
- Certificates of accomplishment (optional); Custom patches ($3 fee)
- Customized classes to fulfill scouting badge requirements or other needs
- Closed toe shoes, appropriate for the activity
- Clothing appropriate for activity (preferrably nothing loose or baggy)
- Leave dangly jewelry, lanyards, clothing at home
- Water bottle (water bottles may be available for small fee)
- Parent/guardian if under 18 (or troop/group leader with appropriate permission slips)
- To be ready to have fun!
*Girl Scouts (GSCNC): we meet your guidelines & some of us are also Girl Scouts! We are also on the Council approved vendor list. Boy Scout approved trainer.
Email access: MASS@mtairyiwla.org Visit us on Facebook